Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default return of real solder?

On 07/08/2010 12:44 AM, notbob wrote:
On 2010-07-08, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

There's nothing illegal about tin/lead solder in the US, at least yet
(Ssshhhh! Obama hasn't thought of this one). You do *NOT* want anything else
for electronics. Sure, lead-free (RoHS) solder is available unless you really
know what you're doing it's impossible to use.

It's used quite a bit in SMT (surface mount technology) soldering,
which I'll soon be exploring. Not exactly sure why, since I've heard
there are problems with non-lead solder forming "whiskers", over time,
which are bad mojo. I'm still learning about this.

As for lead solder, I keep hearing it's being phased out, but you can
still get it at many places. Radio Shack continues to list it in 1/2
lb and 1 lb rolls, but it's no longer available in the little 1/2 oz
tubes. I don't know if they're just running out their stock or what.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062714

There are still many electronics kits, specially for amateur (ham)
radio hobbyists, including $1K+ radios which still need lead solder. Some of
these companies (Elecraft, Ten-Ten) provide links to vendors who still
provide lead solder and lead solder irons, stations, and supplies.

nb

Not sure where I bought my last roll, probably one of the horrible Big
Boxen, but my only choices were plumbing solder and "lead free flux
core" solder. I guess I ASSumed that since I didn't see something it'd
been outlawed or at least restricted, but maybe it just means that my
local stores suck (this isn't really news.)

I'm thinking of going back to the Shack and getting a pound or so
because I forgot how much easier it is to work with. Plus I keep
hearing people bitch about cracked solder joints with lead-free stuff.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel