Posted to alt.home.repair
uncle K uncle K is offline

Default Extreme climate decking materials?

"Steve B" wrote in message

I was totally skeptical of the stuff when it first came out, but that
plastic stuff they make out of old milk jugs and whatever is what I'd do.
It has been around long enough now that I have seen it age, and it does so
very well. Surely better than lumber in the same setting. It's a little
spendy, but when you consider you don't have to do it again in five or ten
years, that makes it cost less over time. Don't know brand names, perhaps
others can chime in on that. The stuff is tough and HEAVY. Only downside
I notice is that it holds heat pretty good, making walking on it with bare
feet an adventure.

I remain skeptical of the stuff. They applied it on an expensive new, er,
mansion, just up the hill from us (in white, yet... duh). 5 years down the
road, it doesn't look so good. In blast furnace sunshine and extremely low
humidity, I would expect it to get chalky, and maybe even begin to chafe
away. In any case, these decks are sort of a PITA, and really don't get
much use, but they're there, so we have to find a (preferably painless)
solution. We simply couldn't justify the expense of Trex, in this case.

The one positive thing about synthetics is that they might work like Teflon.
The eggs wouldn't get stuck to it if you chose to fry them out on the deck,
instead of a dirtying a pan.