Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Extreme climate decking materials?

"uncle K" wrote in message
m...
We will need to be replacing the existing 2 X 4 deck boards on several
smallish decks (6' X 12' +/-). Rain water/freezing/mold/mildew are not a
factor, as this is the warmest, sunniest place in the nation. The sun has
destroyed the original decking, and several galvanized nails (which
usually
hold and outlast the wood) are "floating."

I'm a PNWer, so I'm quite familiar with how to handle this in a cool, wet
climate, but I'm still learning about the wreckage hot sunshine and low
humidity can cause. I'm not sure if pressure, or otherwise treated lumber
will gain us any advantage in this situation. Trex and the like are
simply
too expensive for this application, so we're looking at wood, unless there
is a cheaper alternative in synthetic materials.

We're building stucco enclosures to replace the existing wood handrails,
afford some privacy and upgrade the look of these decks. Sealing the deck
floors, building scuppers or drain pipe systems is not an option, so the
decks must have slats to allow for the rare occasions when it does rain
(monsoons). My thinking is that it may be more cost effective, in the
long
run, to use 2 X 6, 8, or 10 material, which might last longer and be less
susceptible to warping/cracking, properly attached, of course.

OK, let me have it.

Thanks

I was totally skeptical of the stuff when it first came out, but that
plastic stuff they make out of old milk jugs and whatever is what I'd do.
It has been around long enough now that I have seen it age, and it does so
very well. Surely better than lumber in the same setting. It's a little
spendy, but when you consider you don't have to do it again in five or ten
years, that makes it cost less over time. Don't know brand names, perhaps
others can chime in on that. The stuff is tough and HEAVY. Only downside I
notice is that it holds heat pretty good, making walking on it with bare
feet an adventure.

They made a patio out of it at a Las Vegas Home Builder's convention six or
eight years ago. When it came time to take it apart, I tried to lift a
section, and it made the back wheels of my 3500# capacity forklift come off
the ground. Everyone was saying, "Hey, come see this!" One of the account
execs got it all for free.

Steve