Posted to sci.electronics.repair
root root is offline

Default Repairing an expensive speaker

Meat Plow wrote:

Seek out a professional reconing shop. You need some specialized tools
of the trade and some talent to recone. My good friend did it for a
living until he passed away recently. He would advise the same even if
you didn't chose his service.

You can buy kits for reconing speakers. It isn't a
hard job. You remove the flex outer rim from the
cone. Then you cut out the bulge covering the voice
coil and put shims (supplied with the kit) in to center
the cone. Then you glue new flex material around
the cone, and wait overnight. Then you remove the
shims and seal up the bulge with glue.

Apart from the overnight wait for glue to dry, it
only took me about half an hour the first time.
With practice I might be able to get it down to
10 minutes.