Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob La Londe Bob La Londe is offline

Default Punching vs Cutting

"Buerste" wrote in message

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I need to figure out a way to punch out shapes from .025 aluminum sheet.
I've got the little taig mill of course, but I'm thinking it will be
incredibley slow, and if the project works I'll want to punch a lot of
them. The shape is roughly triangular with an outside shear length of
approximately 6 inches.

I also considered the idea of making some kind of punch that I could use
in my press, but I haven't any idea how to start or what material to use
for the punch itself. Also, I am thinking something as slow as a
hydraulic press is going to tear and distort the metal rather than punch
it out. I made a couple of custom punches out of some stainless rod
stock for another project a while back and even for paper they only
lasted a very short time.

Going back to the idea of using the mill. What do you think is the most
aggressive cut and cutter I could use? The spindle RPM maxes at 10,000
and my max IPM is about 30 for rapids, but with any force for feeding is
20. I have a couple details on the cut that could double as holding tabs
and be cut as a seperate operation.

Tell me about your press.

Well, I just have a generic open frame 12 ton air over hydraulic H-frame,
but I was thinking something like a compound lever action arbor press might
work better if it will produce enough force.

Make your punch and die out of O-1, you can

I'll have to look see what O-1 is. If it machines well I guess I could just
make it with my little mill easily enough.

harden it easily with an OA torch and quench it in oil. Easy-peasy! I'd
be glad to quote the part if you like.

Hmmm.... that is an option.