Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Practical Power Factor Application

On Jul 8, 12:42*pm, "Robert Swinney" wrote:
Dan sez:
"The house is mostly wired with 14 gauge wire and 15 amp breakers. *So
the drill press with a 1.5 hp motor will pop the circuit breaker if
used for very long."

AFAIK, there should be no time limit as to how long a given load operates from a CB. *Could it be
your motor is defective and draws excessive current after it warms up? *Figuring 1000 Watts per HP
(Allowing for normal PF and efficiency) a fully loaded 1.5 HP motor on 120 volts should not trip a
15 amp breaker. *The aproximate 12.5 amps is well within the 15 amp rated CB. *It is highly unlikely
the drill press will be fully loaded to 1.5 HP all the time it is on; thus it appears something is
wrong with the motor or the CB is the real culprit.

Bob Swinney

Looking in the W.W. Grainger catalog I find a 1.5 hp motors with full
load amps from 15.2 to 19.8. I would not be surprised if the
circuit breaker is off a little, but think the motor is the major
culprit and has a low power factor.

Dan