Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default return of real solder?

(Doug Miller) wrote in
:

In article , Nate Nagel
wrote:
had a small repair job to do this PM and my beloved Weller soldering
station was left in my friend's garage as I've been helping him rewire
an old Avanti...

so I stop at Radio Shack on my way home and pick up the cheapest
soldering iron they have along with a small roll of solder... get
home and I realize the solder is marked "60/40 Rosin Core Solder."
Now it doesn't say what the 60 and the 40 stand for...

60% tin, 40% lead

but... I just realized
that this is the first time i've seen same in years... have the rules
been relaxed to allow the sale of non-lead-free solder again?

That may be a state-by-state thing, but here in Indiana at least, the
sale of leaded solder was never prohibited.

or did I
stumble across some old stock? Last time I bought solder was maybe 5
years ago and I couldn't find goold old 60/40 to save my life...

You weren't looking in the right places, then. I've never had any
trouble finding leaded solder -- especially at electronics-supply
stores. There's no reason to require lead-free solder on anything but
potable water.

63/37 (eutectic) is the usual replacement for 60/40 in
electronic/electrical work.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik