Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_6_] Steve Barker[_6_] is offline

Default Fluorescent Tube Disposal

On 7/2/2010 6:07 PM, John Gilmer wrote:
"Steve wrote in message
news
On 6/29/2010 6:27 PM, Jason Bourne wrote:
Got three dead 48" tubes from my shop lights. What's the right method
for disposal?

see how many pieces you can make them into as you javelin them into the
dumpster. At least that's what i've done with the last forty seven
thousand i've replaced.

Exactly!

The "tree huggers" are in love with the flouresence lamps. They have
convinced themselves that the mercury in the lamps is as nothing compared to
the mercury released burning the coal needed to generate the extra
electricity need by "conventional" lighting.

When the LED lamps get established I suspect "they" will start giving more
consideration to the disposal of the Fl lamps.

When I lived in a high rise condo, I was told to just drop them down the
trash chute. I lived on the 12th floor so it was over 100' to the
compactor!

i think the mercury vaporizes in such a fall.

--
Steve Barker