Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Gluing brass

On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 23:03:04 -0700, "Michael Koblic"
wrote the following:

I am trying to glue a 0.006" brass foil to a mild steel plate. I have done
it in the past but forgot what I used (note to self: keep better records!).

I have run several small scale trials and for some reason the results are
dismal: JB Weld, Devcon 2-ton, E6000, household Goop, Jelly cyanoacrylate -
the brass just peels off like I am using school glue!

I abrade both surfaces. I clean with acetone. I leave to cure for 24 hours
at least (that includes the CA). Nada!

What am I missing? BTW it is the *brass* side of things where the glues do
not stick.

Could it be the difference in the coefficient of expansion between the
brass and steel?

Give it one more try, this time using 3M Super 77 spray adhesive. It's
the only one I can use (on my laptop glare guards) which will go on
evenly and finely.

Or, if it doesn't have to be electrically connected, you might try a
thin double-sided adhesive tape. That might give them enough
separation if the COE is high up there in the GWN.

--
It's also helpful to realize that this very body that we have, that's
sitting right here right now, with its aches and its pleasures, is