Posted to alt.home.repair
notbob notbob is offline

Default return of real solder?

On 2010-07-08, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

There's nothing illegal about tin/lead solder in the US, at least yet
(Ssshhhh! Obama hasn't thought of this one). You do *NOT* want anything else
for electronics. Sure, lead-free (RoHS) solder is available unless you really
know what you're doing it's impossible to use.

It's used quite a bit in SMT (surface mount technology) soldering,
which I'll soon be exploring. Not exactly sure why, since I've heard
there are problems with non-lead solder forming "whiskers", over time,
which are bad mojo. I'm still learning about this.

As for lead solder, I keep hearing it's being phased out, but you can
still get it at many places. Radio Shack continues to list it in 1/2
lb and 1 lb rolls, but it's no longer available in the little 1/2 oz
tubes. I don't know if they're just running out their stock or what.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062714

There are still many electronics kits, specially for amateur (ham)
radio hobbyists, including $1K+ radios which still need lead solder. Some of
these companies (Elecraft, Ten-Ten) provide links to vendors who still
provide lead solder and lead solder irons, stations, and supplies.

nb