Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Declaration of Independence

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
On Jul 3, 6:05 pm, Oren wrote:
Have a good day tomorrow.

"Subjects."

That's what Thomas Jefferson first wrote in an early draft of the
Declaration of Independence to describe the people of the 13 colonies.
"...Over the smudge, Jefferson then wrote the word "citizens."

"Dr. Fenella France, a research chemist at the Library of Congress,
shows recent imaging of the document. (Susan Walsh - AP)"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...10/07/02/AR201...

Another thing most Americans don't realize: The Declaration did not
originally read:

"Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness". It was "Life, Liberty
and Property".
Wonder who wanted it changed, and why. Must research this when I get
a break.
Anybody know?

I read it was Ben Franklin that suggested the change because he realized
that taxation on property ownership was going to be necessary to finance the
federal government. So he suggested something that was immune from taxation
to replace the word "property" and be more in line with life and liberty.
But there are all sorts of other theories, too. I mean the government can
take both your life and your liberty - although so far, neither is taxed.

bg