Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Fred Holder[_2_] Fred Holder[_2_] is offline

Default Lathe tool storage

On Jul 6, 5:59 pm, "JimR" wrote:
After years of having too much work to have time to enjoy using a lathe in
my leisure time, I've finally changed my priorities.

I've started with a simple bowl and have a lot of other material waiting on
the shelf. I've also updated my ancient 1980-era set of Craftsman lathe
tools with a new boxed set of Sorby tools, plus several additinal
individual items, and just bought a tool with a carbide cutter as well as a
set of miniature tools for small turnings, bowl sander, etc. I also got a
Nova chuck, and a Supernova chuck, extra faceplates, etc.

I started out with the old tools hanging on a pegboard screwdriver rack, and
then I put t;he individual tools into their plastic tubes or slip cases and
hung them from hooks on the pegboard. But there's the boxed set, which I
haven't started to use yet, and the set of miniatures --

My question - how do you store your tools and equipment so that they're
easily available, visible, and organized.

I built a fixture on the end of my lathe bed that holds the five tools
that I use the most (three spindle gouges and two skew chisels). The
other tools are mounted around a roll around tool cabinet that has a
structure built around it with pvc tubes to accept lots of other
tools. I keep my bowl gouges in this group plus the occasionally used
tools. By always putting the tools back in their place, I know just
where to find them when needed. The three drawers in the cabinet hold
smaller tools, chucks, etc. If you wish to see a photo, e-mail me and
I'll send you a photo.

Fred Holder
http://www.morewoodturning.net