Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Concrete Construstion

"Abby Brown" wrote in message
Hi,

Concrete construction is common in Central America and other Latin
American locales. Other than being hurricane and earthquake resistant
what are the advantages and disadvantages of this construction?

Thanks,
Gary

Having been to Mexico several times, their construction techniques leave a
lot to be desired. I have seen shoring made of tree limbs. It is also
common that if you think you may be adding a floor at any time in the
future, to just let the rebar stick up for ten feet all around the perimeter
of the building, and in all bearing walls. I have worked concrete and
construction in the US. There are obvious areas within the pour where one
can see different consistencies of concrete, rather than a monolithic pour,
as in poured all in the same day. Their construction looks like they had
enough to do just this much, so they poured that much, or mixed it on site
or in a tumbler by the sack, then came back at a later date and did more.
The walls show lines of different concrete pours. They also look like they
have never heard of a concrete vibrator.

I would say in Mexico, cost would be a factor, and speed of progress. As
mentioned, less likely to be hit by insects or wind or weather. In that
climate, also, it stays cool, and in the "winter" retains heat.

MHO, YMMV

Steve