Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default Raised Panel Door Question

"LdB" wrote in message
On 7/6/2010 12:34 PM, LdB wrote:

Thanks for the replies. The doors are completely MDF. Not my choice. I've
never used the stuff before and may never use it again. At least not in
anything going into my house.

Some salesman did a number on my friends and convinced them that MDF is as
good as wood. I tried to change their minds but gave up. The cupboards are
going in their house not mine. They bought the material and are doing most
of the work. If the cupboards fall apart they can find that salesman and
get him to make things right. At least they will use euro hinges on the
doors. They should hold fast for some time.

We will build the doors with the rubber barrels. There may be some
expansion caused by the paint. That's something I hadn't thought about and
I have no idea what they will finish the doors with. The barrels will
also prevent rattling as well. I new that, just didn't think about it.

Thanks again. I just thought I could save a bit of time, but when you
think about it there's not much difference.

LdB

I have used MDF several times for customers at their request. They painted
them and were happy, repeadedly. One of my customers re did his kitchen and
a few years later moved and did the MDF again. 8 years later he is is still
happy and the doors still look great.

With that in mind I do strongly suggest the use of Euro style hinges. These
style hinges will support the weight of the doors with out screws, however
the screws are necessary to keep the doors from sliding off of the hinge.