John Armstrong

Default Choosing location for kitchen appliances

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 09:45 +0100 (BST), Mark Webb wrote:

3) To position a built in over near a corner, how much side clearance
should there be to stop the oven scorching the cabinets facing (around the
corner) when the door's open?

I have just replaced my kitchen units, although keeping roughly the same
layout (limited by space). The oven is next to (maybe 50mm away) the
corner. The only scorching I have had since the previous units went in
around 6-7 years ago is to the edge of the door on the other side of the
oven, ie in line with it. This is much closer than the surfaces round the
corner. I think the problem is constant heat leakage around the door when
it is shut, rather than the occasional higher levels when it is open.
The old doors had stuck on edging, and the heat had caused this edging to
peal away. Hopefully I wont have the same problem with the new ones that
have a one piece face+edge.