Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Michael Koblic[_2_] Michael Koblic[_2_] is offline

Default Lathe tool storage

"JimR" wrote in message
After years of having too much work to have time to enjoy using a lathe in
my leisure time, I've finally changed my priorities.

I've started with a simple bowl and have a lot of other material waiting
on the shelf. I've also updated my ancient 1980-era set of Craftsman
lathe tools with a new boxed set of Sorby tools, plus several additinal
individual items, and just bought a tool with a carbide cutter as well as
a set of miniature tools for small turnings, bowl sander, etc. I also got
a Nova chuck, and a Supernova chuck, extra faceplates, etc.

I started out with the old tools hanging on a pegboard screwdriver rack,
and then I put t;he individual tools into their plastic tubes or slip
cases and hung them from hooks on the pegboard. But there's the boxed
set, which I haven't started to use yet, and the set of miniatures --

My question - how do you store your tools and equipment so that they're
easily available, visible, and organized.

I went through all the options a while ago. There are some rather innovative
ones on the net! However, space being at a premium they live in the Lee
Valley tool roll when not in use. The roll can be stored wherever it happens
to be convenient at the time, usually behind the lathe. When in use the roll
lies open on a side table.

Having said that, I have just exceeded the number of tools the roll can
accommodate so I shall be going through the process again but not for some
time. I am in the middle of the "metalworking season" :-)

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC