Posted to rec.woodworking
Hoosierpopi Hoosierpopi is offline

Default Saw Motor S.O.T. NOT

It turns out that the 240VAC motor I asked about was NOT a "saw motor"
but the motor on a compressor that is labled as a Compressor Motor.

Problem that motivated the questions about the 240 VAC vs. 220/230 VAC
was that the motor would run the compressor pump for a while, then
stop.

The motor has two capacitors mounted on top.

We assume that one is a "start" and the other is a "run" capacitor.

We know nothing about motors - but thought replacing the "run"
capacitor might solve the problem of the motor running a bit, then
simply stopping.

Of course, the forgoing is hearsay. I never watched this happen and
cannot say beyond a doubt that the auto reset didn't stop it (frankly,
I just thought about it.) The motor does have a little red button
similar to that on my RAS motor that "pops" when I over strain the
motor for instance.

So, the question is (addressed to those who actually know about such
things, please): "What happens when the "run" capacitor goes bad?

And, "Is it likely that a bad capacitor would result in the motor
running a while (Pressure gets to about 20#), then simply stopping?"

Thanks for taking the time to read this.