Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Great open barrel crimper for Molex terminals

On 2010-07-07, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
"J. Clarke" wrote:

On 7/5/2010 9:47 PM, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In ,
"DoN. wrote:

[ ... ]

The ohmmeter says it is good -- so it must be good. :-)

We did not try to explain it to him. It would be a magic show at best.

I have had the need to explain such things to other electricians, and
gotten a
big fight for my trouble. A person who does not know what he does not
know, or
even that there are such things.

That's one thing that bugs me about the State of Connecticut, one _must_
have an electrician's license to work on network cables. Never seen an
electrician with said license yet who could identify a cable scanner,
let alone who owned one,.

Yes. An iron rice bowl: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_rice_bowl.

Does this apply to:

1) Network cabling outdoors?

2) Network cabling in commercial or apartment buildings?

3) Or even home wiring?

When our house was being expanded, I ran some thicknet ethernet
cable (picked up big spools of it at a hamfest) between several places
where networked computers are sometimes set up. Had I known about
100BaseT and faster coming down the pike, I would have put in Cat-5
cable instead.

Hmm ... also -- does it apply when running ethernet through
fiber optics? No wires there at all! No excuse for needing someone who
is accustomed to wiring voltages around. :-)

And how about today's WiFi?

Granted, I have a friend with an old house where it does not
work well at all. The walls are not drywall, but rather real plaster
over metal mesh. But I can't imagine an electrician knowing enough
about that to even diagnose the problem. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564