Posted to alt.home.repair
Nonny[_2_] Nonny[_2_] is offline

Default Why not put an electrical copper wire into the weed whacker?

"Larry W" wrote in message
There are solid blade wheels available for many trimmers. I've
never used
one myself so I can't say how way they work.

When I was doing my own yard trimming, the string trimmer I had
came with a replacement lower end that held a flat bar of
about1/8" or 3/16" steel an inch or so wide and about 12" long.
It was used to edge alongside a walk or driveway, cutting a groove
in the soil like a traditional edger. It would have been terrible
as a line trimmer, but sure did a good job along the driveway and
sidewalk. You could also remove the knife-like blade and replace
it with a heavy duty circular saw-type blade to cut brush. The
trimmer came with a harness you wore in the situation that
prevented the long tube and blade from coming close to operator
body parts.

For trimming around stone walls, foundations and decorative rocks,
however, my replacement "line" of aircraft cable did the trick.

Nonny
--
On most days,
it’s just not worth