Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Raised Panel Door Question

On 7/6/2010 1:34 PM, LdB wrote:
I've made raised panel doors out of wood. Standard rail and style frame
routed with a profile to hold the raised panel in place. The raised
panels are made slightly smaller that the rail and style frame opening.
Small rubber barrels are put in the slots of the frame to cushion the
panel and keep it in place. I assume this is done to compensate for any
movement in the wood over time.

I'm now helping friends build their cupboards. These doors will be the
same raised panel type but are being made out of MDF. Not my choice, I'm
just the helper with the tools.

Is there any reason to make the MDF doors any different than wood doors?
Should we make the MDF raised panels smaller than the frame openings,
then use the same rubber barrels in the MDF rail and style frame slots?

Can the MDF raised panels be made the same size as the opening in the
rail and style frame? If so should the raised panel be glued into place?

The whole door MDF? Or just the panel? If just the panel, treat it
like any other raised panel. If the whole door (bad idea) then do it
whatever way is easiest for you.