Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_5_] Wes[_5_] is offline

Default OT surveillance camera for a car?

Ignoramus6391 wrote:

My wife left her car for 5 minutes and returned, only to find a GPS
stolen. I had a truck window smashed a year or two ago as well.

Never leave bling in view. I keep a gps under a shirt on the passenger seat that I use
every day. No see, no steal. Also, no NRA or pro gun stickers. There could be firearms
inside my vehicle and I'm not advertizing.

I would like to find a surveillance system for a car.

Requirements a

1) 12v power supply and low power consumption
2) Unobtrusive look or, better, designed to be hidden
3) Good recording capability to a flash drive

Constant streaming to a flash device is going to burn out the cells. You need a
triggering system if you want to use flash.

You need a ultrasonic glass break detector or an ultrasonic perimeter alarm.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burglar_alarm

4) NOT BULKY

They make small very small PC's for embedded applications. You can run them no-headed. I
*assume* you will run a *nix OS. I suspect I could find a few boards in any recent copy
of Circuit Cellar.

5) Ability to survive 60 degrees C or so inside a vehicle.

Put it in the trunk. I suspect it is cooler there since there isn't any glass. I *hope*
you can deselect the inside the car trunk release. My car has a lever on the trunk lock I
set when carrying arms or other valuables. That car battery is huge compared to a laptop
battery. Thinking of laptop, some cheap fleabay laptop likely fills the bill. You only
need enough PC to record video and even old crap has 60MB of disk. You can use a USB web
cam too.

I have looked a little and everything I found is kind of ridiculous,
huge in your face things and huge tape recorders, etc.

It sure sucks to be violated. Been there before but not too often.

Wes

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller