Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default Why not put an electrical copper wire into the weed whacker?

GHenry wrote:

Of the 18 inches of the 150 feet of 0.130" nylon strands I cut (the
original strand was about 16 inches but I make mine longer ostensibly so
they last longer), 6 inches stick out of each side of the hub.

In my experience, longer strings wear much faster due to higher tip
speeds. The line I use splits, which makes it less effective for
cutting and quicker to disappear. For heavy cutting or chain-link
fences I'll snip the lines to less than the nominal 17" diameter.

It says to use red line (#71-85908) for cutting grass and small
weeds and black colored line (#71-85909) for cutting larger weeds and light
brush.

I wonder what the specs are for those lines. Perhaps the line you
bought is unsuited to this trimmer.

I've used nylon trimmer blades whose manufacturer recommended soaking
before use so they'd be less brittle. Maybe soaking would help your line.

BTW, the instructions say never wack from right to left, only from left to
right (like you read a book), which is interesting in and of itself.

It depends on which way the head rotates. Mine rotates clockwise. If I
swing it to the right, the right side cuts, throwing debris toward me.