Posted to alt.home.repair
GHenry GHenry is offline

Default Why not put an electrical copper wire into the weed whacker?

On Tue, 6 Jul 2010 15:08:46 +0000 (UTC), Chief Two Eagles wrote:

So how much total 130 do you have sticking out the hub when you start?
And what size motor in your trimmer?

Of the 18 inches of the 150 feet of 0.130" nylon strands I cut (the
original strand was about 16 inches but I make mine longer ostensibly so
they last longer), 6 inches stick out of each side of the hub.

The motor is on a Craftsman 358.791170 which if I look it up has a manual
at http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/lis_...M/L0901278.pdf

The manual says it's a "33cc/2.0 cu.in. 2-cycle gasoline weedwacker" and
that it meets California emissions regulations for small off-road engines.

It takes optional attachments (none of which I have):
Edger ................. 358.79240
Cultivator ............ 358.79241
Blower ................ 358.79242
Brushcutter ........... 358.79244
Pruner ................ 358.79245

It says to use red line (#71-85908) for cutting grass and small
weeds and black colored line (#71-85909) for cutting larger weeds and light
brush.

The soil is (rather young) typical Franscisian sediments, only about 30
million years old, so there are no solid (as in granite) "rocks" per se, no
quartz, no conglomerate, just soft shales and limestones and harder chert;
but, the soil is almost wholly chips and flakes of deep ocean sediments so
the weedwacker will almost always touch something hard.

BTW, the instructions say never wack from right to left, only from left to
right (like you read a book), which is interesting in and of itself.