Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why not put an electrical copper wire into the weed whacker?

On Jul 6, 10:52*am, GHenry wrote:
On Tue, 6 Jul 2010 07:40:32 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc wrote:
I have one of the ones with the swapable attachments. *
The little chain saw is also great for pruning trees.

Hi James,
I have (probably) the same weed whacker you have!
Craftsman Model 358.791170 which takes multiple attachments.

Please tell me more about how well/poorly the attachments work because I
only have the weed-wacker attachment.

I never bought the edger or pruner attachments (although I could sorely use
both but I wondered how well/badly they worked).

BTW, be warned, my Craftsman trimmer has the "built with Sim-Pul for smooth
easy starts" (which is a crock because twice I had to replace the entire
starter assembly because the clutch didn't disengage so the weed trimmer
melted the plastic starter assembly).

No, I have a ryobi. It's also "easy pull" so I suspect your craftsman
may be a ryobi. Sears doesn't actually make anything. It's worth
keeping up with who is making stuff for them as sometimes you can get
a deal on an item that would be pricier under it's original label. I
still have a big mac chain saw I bought under their label 30 years
back when mac was the name to get.

It ought to start in a couple pulls or maybe you are priming too much
or too little. Usually it's hard starting the results in broken
starters.

They standardized the attachment mounts among most of these. I have
the little chain saw and the pruner but I think they are a different
brand. One of them came with a 2 foot extension pole. I already had
a dedicated stick edger but I'm sure the attachemnt one would be about
the same. I have a number of high trimming and pruning chores that I
have to do a couple times a year so these worked well for my needs
because of the reach. So I'm not really using them enough to tell if
they have wear issues. If I was doing it for a living I would get all
dedicated stuff.but as a homeowner it's just too expensive.