Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why not put an electrical copper wire into the weed whacker?

On Jul 6, 10:22*am, GHenry wrote:
On Tue, 6 Jul 2010 13:37:57 +0000 (UTC), Chief Two Eagles wrote:
I use 120 line in my trimmers with a special hub that you just insert
2 six inch lengths of the line into.
120 will knock down just about anything and survive quite a long
time on concrete for edging etc....

I just checked my stock.

I have 150 feet of 0.130" "nylon" string which I cut into foot-long lengths
to fit into the Craftsman string trimmer.

Mine only last a few minutes, five or ten at the most before they're
cheweed up to an inch or three sticking out (which is probably about 8
inches long but more than half of that is unusable inside the center cap)..

So, I'm pretty surprised you say 0.120 will "survive quite a long time"
since I only get about five or ten minutes out of 0.130 nylon line.

PS: No, I'm not hitting chain-link fences; I'm just hitting weeds and brush
at most about 1/4 inch thick. Very rocky soil though.

Get a twin line bump and feed hub. That business of sticking little
sections in is idiocy if you work up against concrete or brick. And
if you are using it as an edger, stop, get an edger. A stick edger.
You'll never go back. I edge my sidewalks, drive, and the curb in
about 10 minutes. I have one of the ones with the swapable
attachments. The little chain saw is also great for pruning trees.