Posted to alt.home.repair
GHenry GHenry is offline

Default Why not put an electrical copper wire into the weed whacker?

On Tue, 6 Jul 2010 13:37:57 +0000 (UTC), Chief Two Eagles wrote:

I use 120 line in my trimmers with a special hub that you just insert
2 six inch lengths of the line into.
120 will knock down just about anything and survive quite a long
time on concrete for edging etc....

I just checked my stock.

I have 150 feet of 0.130" "nylon" string which I cut into foot-long lengths
to fit into the Craftsman string trimmer.

Mine only last a few minutes, five or ten at the most before they're
cheweed up to an inch or three sticking out (which is probably about 8
inches long but more than half of that is unusable inside the center cap).

So, I'm pretty surprised you say 0.120 will "survive quite a long time"
since I only get about five or ten minutes out of 0.130 nylon line.

PS: No, I'm not hitting chain-link fences; I'm just hitting weeds and brush
at most about 1/4 inch thick. Very rocky soil though.