Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default What is it?

Bob Minchin wrote:
Huge wrote:
On 2010-07-05, Phil wrote:
Jim wrote:

We had a company install stainless wall ties over all the external
walls by drilling through the bricks, they then dug out the lime
mortar around the ends of the ties and put a sheath around them,
repointing as necessary.
Cost in the region of 4 grand.

And this job would have made a perfect DIY project and saved you
thousands. You can buy all the materials you need online or from BM's
and hire
metal detector, SDS drill and thin chisel bit.
One man could do an average semi in a week and total cost of
materials, tool hire etc£500, and £300 of that would be for new SS
ties!

Yes, but the insurance compnay wouldn't pay for that. )

Is the failure of wall ties likely to be covered by a 'normal' house
buildings insurance?
There is no mortgage co involved and we have a very low incidence of
claims (3 minor ones in 28 years)
Bob

Highly unlikely to be covered, but it might be worth a try if they need
doing, but they won't take your word for it, they will insist on a survey by
a wall tie company

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008