Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default What is it?

harry wrote:

I once knocked a wall down, I should think it was Victorian. The wall
ties were all cast bronze, the drip was formed with a "bump" of about
35mm. They too had fish tails. They were in absolutely perfect
condition, just slightly green.

I think the wire ties are fairly suspect. Lots from the 50's and 60's
failing now. At least they don't seem to force the brickwork apart.
An alternative to the post fix wall ties is cavity wall foam
insulation. Glues the two halves together. Allegedly. We'll see.

the injected foam has absolutely no adhesive properties whatsoever - it's
nothing like the modern foam used in various building applications like
affixing frames etc, and even that would be completely useless as an
adhesive for brick/blockwork.

Foam insulation has never been marketed as, nor had claims made about it
'glueing' the two walls together, given that it's final consistency when
fully cured is that of candy floss.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008