Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Why not put an electrical copper wire into the weed whacker?

Dean Hoffman wrote:
GHenry wrote:
I have the type of weed whacker that takes about a foot long plastic
"string".

I buy the weed whacker string in bulk, so it's cheap but it only
lasts a few minutes in touch terrain.

I wonder. Would it work to just put an electrical wire, maybe 14
gauge or so, into the weed whacker?

I mean, why does it use plastic? Why not copper or steel wire (from
a coat hanger perhaps)?

Is it that it would be too dangerous? (But plenty of things are
dangerous.)

There are a lot of heads like this: http://tinyurl.com/2bcpcux
Some look a lot like a skillsaw blade. I've never tried them so
can't say how well they work.

I've used that style. It works well but eventually the "blades" get worn
down and have to be replaced. No big deal and not expensive (a set of 12 is
about $5).