Posted to alt.home.repair
FatterDumber& Happier Moe FatterDumber& Happier Moe is offline

Default Why not put an electrical copper wire into the weed whacker?

J Burns wrote:
GHenry wrote:
I have the type of weed whacker that takes about a foot long plastic
"string".

I buy the weed whacker string in bulk, so it's cheap but it only lasts a
few minutes in touch terrain.

I wonder. Would it work to just put an electrical wire, maybe 14 gauge or
so, into the weed whacker?

I mean, why does it use plastic? Why not copper or steel wire (from a
coat
hanger perhaps)?

Is it that it would be too dangerous? (But plenty of things are
dangerous.)

Vibration and flexing make copper brittle. I imagine a flying piece of
wire could endanger the eyesight of passersby some distance away.

Twenty years ago I used to see ads for weed whacker heads using flailing
chain-saw chain. None for me, thanks.

I use the "titanium" string made by Husqvarna. It holds up better
than anything else I've used. Also when cutting it's the the far end of
the string that does the cutting not the middle. The more you make the
"end" cut the longer the string will last.