Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Searcher7 Searcher7 is offline

Default Precision vs. "Regular" collets

On 2010-06-28, Searcher7 wrote:

On Jun 27, 11:47*pm, "DoN. Nichols" wrote:

* * * * [ ... ]

* * * * Cut the threads and the taper before you slit it. *To slit it,
you would need the rotary table with some means of mounting the cylinder
to it. *You *could* drill through the base for Allen head cap screws to
reach through the spindle flange to accept nuts. *You could probably
tighten the screws with a long Allen key through the cylinder before
sliding in the collet adaptor. *That would be more convenient I think.

Or perhaps a collar with a circular wedge that would be put on the
collet chuck body before inserting the body into a solid sleeve that
is bolted to the spindle. This way the collet chuck would seat first
and then the collar would be screwed back resulting in the circular
wedge sliding between the collet chuck body and the solid sleeve.

* * * * I still don't really understand what you are suggesting.

Ok. I have to learn a graphics app to make explanations easier.

* * * * But with the slots only on the front part, you bore the full
cylinder to a precise sliding fit on the body and then add the threads
and the taper at the outer end (taper either way) and you can close it
with the same tool which closes the collets.

* * * * You *could* make a split ring and a cam and lever arrangement to
close it -- but that risks making it unbalanced, thus producing problems
with the lathe dancing on (or off :-) the bench at higher spindle speeds.

* * * * [ ... MTA-21 ... ]

* * * * [ ... ]

I attempted to take the lathe out of it's box today. Unfortunately it
looks as though I'll have to tear the box off around it.

* * * * I was (and so were you) pointed to a set of pages which included
the information that the lathe base is secured to the bottom of the box
with a set of bolts -- ones which were probably bent in shipping. *You
have to remove those before you can take the base out of the box.

* * * * Is your lathe the green one, or the blue one?

* * * * Hmm ... I see missing things so I must have lost the previous
article when the newsreader locked up.

* * * * Lots of typing lost.

That is why I always type in a test document(Notepad), with frequent
saves when I am typing something long.(But I don't have to worry about
"Google Groups" crashing).

* * * * Oh yes -- one thing was about Lyndex collets. *I had to order a
new one (5/8" hex) from MSC. *The box is the same as your set, so that
must be the newer box. *Anyway -- the collet has no markings on it to
say it is Lyndex, so don't worry.

OK, but I put those back up on eBay, because I won a set of 5C Royals
from 1/16" to 1-1/16" at every 1/16th.

* * * * Anyway -- I was looking up ER collets to try to find a best
choice for you -- The ER series holder would be shorter than any 5C one,
so a better choice for you. *ER-32 will handle up to your full spindle
bore and it does not need a drawbar if you make a nose adaptor for your
lathe's spindle.

Yes. A realistic comparison for my lathe would be between ER32 and 3C

http://littlemachineshop.com/product...ProductID=2228
http://littlemachineshop.com/product...ProductID=1991
(The 3C would need the collet closer).

* * * * So -- start with a MT-3 ER-32 collet adaptor and collets. *This
will get you something which you can use with a drawbar at first, and a
pattern for the needed dimensions. *Then you make a piece of steel which
mounts on your lathe spindle, bore through it and at the proper angle
for the back of the ER-32 collets, and then turn down the OD and thread
for a M40-1.5 thread. *(This means that *before* you commit to this,
you need to make sure that you can *cut* a Metric thread of 1.5 mm
pitch. *If you can't find the gearing to do it -- don't get started.
You have to plan ahead to figure out what *can* be done before you start
buying parts which may or may not work. *It appears that 5C collets are
just too large for your lathe.

BTW. I'm now also receiving a new set of R8 collets for my mill/drill:
120590702108

(Yes, I know they are Lyndex. But I may need to center cut something
accurately). :-)

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.