Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Basic Microwave Repair?

On Jul 4, 6:34*pm, "Ulysses" wrote:
"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message

m...

"Ulysses" wrote in message
Does the word transformer mean anything to you except for the movie ?

The 120 volt line voltage is not rectified in the microwave.
There is a transformer in the microwave that changes the voltage to over
1000 volts and then it is rectified. *Most common meters will not measure
voltages that high. *The voltage can puncture the insulation of the meter
and kill you.

Thank you. *I'll keep an eye on the beast. *I have no intention of working
on my microwave oven while it's plugged in or on. *I did not need to
discharge the capacitor because it is shorted. *But I still don't trust it.

How are you sure the capacitor is shorted??? Unless you have a very
small capacitor, it will look like a short to most voltmeters.