Dave Rowell

Default Jointer/Planer knives - How sharp should I expect

Well I just fired my painter and it looks like all my woodworking
projects are pushed out until after I finish stripping and painting this
puppy myself. So basically maybe I'm not in as big a rush on the jointer
and I might have time to get into sharpening them myself.

I've read good opinions on the Makita setup and maybe I'll go that
route. One concern I have is whether or not you have problems with
blades flexing, resulting in cupped or crowned blades. I'm still a
little bit worried about the balancing issues, but I see most people
don't seem to have problems. Do you do anything special to make sure
blades in a set all have roughly equal mass? How much time does it take
to do a set of 3 13" knives?

Thanks for the info.

Dave R.

Well let's see now.... my day job may be short-lived, I have the
Makita sharpener, I know how to sharpen planer and joiner blades and
he sounds like he's willing to pay the price for quality work...
Yooo...... Dave

;-)

Bob S.

service. Where I live nothing is cheap (~30 bucks for sharpening 3
13" planer blades) and it's really hard to find competent services in
anything (Don't even start me on the painters who just secured their
tarp by nailing through my roof). If they come back reasonable I send
the other sets to the same place.

Dave R.