Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim[_41_] Jim[_41_] is offline

Default What is it?

On 05/07/2010 15:45, Bob Minchin wrote:
The ties in my house built in 1925 are starting to fail. Main problem is
that the tails are swelling with rust and forcing the bricks apart.
The problem is exacerbated by high porosity handmade bricks.
Lime mortar was used in those days so the wall will have to be rebuilt
in the next few years. I've no idea if they are galvanised or plain
steel from that era. Still 85 years is not too bad!

We had a similar problem with our 1927 house - porous bricks, lime
mortar and ties which appear to have been galvanised originally but
which were rusting to bits.

We had a company install stainless wall ties over all the external walls
by drilling through the bricks, they then dug out the lime mortar around
the ends of the ties and put a sheath around them, repointing as necessary.

Cost in the region of 4 grand.