Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Norman Billingham[_2_] Norman Billingham[_2_] is offline

Default Has anyone turned bamboo?

"JimR" wrote in message
m...
I have some clumps of giant timber bamboo besides the house. I've been
removing some of the culms to keep the grove under control and now have
almost a dozen that I've harvested. The culms are 4-6" in diameter near
the base and about 35-40 feet tall. The walls of the lower sections are up
to about 1" thick. It occurred to me that this might be a novel source for
turning material, for such things as candle-stick holders, salt-and-pepper
shakers, a chop stick holder, etc.

Has anyone tried turning bamboo sections, and if so what did you think of
the final product?

Never tried it myself but you can buy bowls made from bamboo very cheaply
here in the UK;

http://www.johnlewis.com/230860025/Product.aspx

The ones on sale look to be laminated then turned and lacqyered on th
outside. Looking into them looks like plywood spiralling outwards from the
centre of the base:

http://www.johnlewis.com/230748417/Product.aspx

I doubt I coudl buy the bamboo for the price these things cost, never mind
all the work involved.