Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew VK3BFA[_2_] Andrew VK3BFA[_2_] is offline

Default What kind of steel in wood-cutting circular saw blade?

On Jul 5, 4:06*am, " wrote:
On Jul 4, 8:53*am, Andrew VK3BFA wrote:

I have been going through a similar process on getting a new blade
(10inch) for my table saw, which is of dubious quality since it was
cheap and came from (insert name here). Got a book out of the library
on the subject, had a whole chapter devoted to blades. Fascinating,
but useless cause I am not a Fine Woodworker (BTW - I got and old
skilsaw, great for ripping up floorboards - few carbide tips missing,
doesn't seem to worry it too much)

In the end, his recommendation was to get 3 blades, as there's no such
thing as a good GP blade. And a good guide is price - reasonable
starts at $50, holy grail type ones can be hundreds of dollars (you
know, the "hand crafted by Elves in the forest" sorta thing)

So I bought a $50 Erwin, carbide tipped, and as it aint in front of
me, cant remember the tpi. And I set up the table-saw - plan to bolt
struts across the back, increase rigidity and improve accuracy. Use a
dial indicator, check run-out. Use a square, check alignment. Check
the guides track, remove the slop in the miter gauge cutting
thingy....

Andrew VK3BFA.

A long time ago Tom Walz used to post here on RCM. *If you are looking
for saw blades you might check his web site. Lots of information on
saw blades. He also has a bunch of information on brazing carbide on
his web site. He used to sell stellite and carbide, but I can not find
those on his web site now.

http://www.carbideprocessors.com/

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Dan

Hi Dan,
..........sigh......followed the link (thank you) and was presented
with a BIG list of different types of saw blades. Tool shops here have
them, too. I dont need to learn another language, after (x) years,
metalworking is becoming slightly less foggy....so not again.
I just want a saw blade that cuts wood, thats all. Not making
furniture for the space shuttle.
So, in summary, my total knowledge, gained by diligent study,
practical experience, and stuffing it up a few times is:

1.You gets what you pay for. (nothing new there)
2.Dont even think about anything other than carbide tipped.
3.Set the thing up properly. (Its a machine tool after all.)
4.More teeth = finer cut BUT shorter life.
5.Not many teeth at all = attack things with it = treat it mean, it
can cope
6.Lots of small teeth=dont even go there, its irrelevant unless you
want to take up serious woodworking.

Well, thats my view on it anyway - hopefully, short and to the point.
Errors and Omissions included.

Andrew VK3BFA