Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What is it?

In article ,
Tim Streater writes:
In article ,
Andy Champ wrote:

Phil L wrote:

Galvanised ones were used after this but they too were shunned in favour of
stainless steel and even plastic ones, which had a short lived popularity
in
the early 90's.

It's the galvanised ones I grew up with. Are _any_ of them good long term?

Yerrss. Our house was built 30s, when we had DG recently I checked them
far as I could see into the cavity as each old winder was took out, they
all seemed in good nick, orright?

The damage happens to the part embedded in the outside wall.
If that starts rusting, it swells and can push the bricks apart
at the mortar lines with great force.

--
Andrew Gabriel