Posted to uk.d-i-y
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Solar Panels - verifying the numbers

"NT" wrote in message
On Jul 4, 8:47 pm, wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Personally I don't think photo voltaics are worth it, very capital
intensive and ineffecient at converting the available energy into
useable energy.

They are, IIRC, about 100 times more efficient than plants.
Farming, eh? Even less efficeient than PV. And PV at least
gives you 'leccy straight off the bat.

#Paul

The energy return is really a red herring. Money return is what
counts, its not as if we're short of energy.

NT

We wouldn't be if they built some more nuclear generation plants, but as
long as we are generating electricity from gas and oil and coal, we're gonna
keep getting shorter of it, aren't we ? I don't happen to believe that all
of these alternative power generation technologies are worth a jot in the
grand scheme of things. And ones for the home are more for green conscience
salving. I can just about live with benefits from using the heat energy of
the sun. Given time, you might actually be able to win a few quid with a
reduction in fuel costs for heating your water, but generating a few watts
of electricity when you least need it, at a huge capital outlay, with
complex electronic engineering involved - the manufacturing and shipping
around the world of which all has its own energy budget - seems to me to
make no sense, except to be able to tell people that you are doing your bit
to 'save the planet' ...

Arfa