Pounds on Wood

Default If you had $400 and needed a router/lift setup....

I couldn't agree more about the Router Raizer. Why would anyone spend so
much more? The RR works great on a handheld too. You can put it in and out
of a table without touching the lift system.

--
Bill Pounds
http://www.bill.pounds.net/woodshop

"C" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 01:51:59 -0800, Subw00er wrote:

I'm looking for opinions here. I'd like to install a router lift into
my saw table extension and want to spend somewhere around $400-450 for
both the router and lift. I've heard good things about the Jet xacta
lift (I have a jet saw) and the woodpecker version (not sure its worth
$300?!).

I am tentatively planning on the xacta lift and a dewalt router (I'm
partial to dewalt, but not sure of their router's abilities yet).
Ideally, I'd get a router that had a plunge and standard base so I
could permanenetly mount the base to the router lift and use the plung
when needed. I'd definitely want the removal of teh router to be quick
and if the router had a shaft lock thats a plus.

As if you hadn't guessed, I'm new to routers... but I only like buying
tools once!

I just picked up the Hitachi M12V. It's a plunge router and I plan to
mount it beneath a tabletop. Instead of spending the bucks on fancy
router lifts, consider the Router Raizer. I'm probably going this route.
It is a simple enough device for adjusting height. By using a plunge
router, you eliminate the need for a specialized assembly to raise/lower
router.

The money saved will buy some very, very nice bits and maybe even a good
book on routing and jigs.