Posted to alt.home.repair
Ulysses Ulysses is offline

Default Basic Microwave Repair?

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
m...

"Ulysses" wrote in message
Does the word transformer mean anything to you except for the movie ?

The 120 volt line voltage is not rectified in the microwave.
There is a transformer in the microwave that changes the voltage to over
1000 volts and then it is rectified. Most common meters will not measure
voltages that high. The voltage can puncture the insulation of the meter
and kill you.

Thank you. I'll keep an eye on the beast. I have no intention of working
on my microwave oven while it's plugged in or on. I did not need to
discharge the capacitor because it is shorted. But I still don't trust it.