Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad
Jim Thompson[_3_] Jim Thompson[_3_] is offline

Default Windows Weirdness

On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 19:25:36 -0500, flipper wrote:

On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 13:45:34 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 15:28:44 -0500, flipper wrote:

On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 18:19:03 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

[snip]

What was happening _was_ Norton-induced... my idle time caused Norton
to go into idle-time-scan mode, pushing CPU up to 100%, and some kind
of thermal shutdown occurred.

That's the most likely diagnosis yet. It's entirely plausible and
explains just about everything, except for why the symptom seemed to
go away when you reset the power settings but that could be explained
as coincidence with Norton's scheduling of when it needed to run.

Yep. Just a coincidence to confuse things ;-)

Don't you just love it when they do that?

Yep. BTDT so many times :-)

[snip]

Of course my oldest son chides me to have rack-mounted PC's inside an
filtered air containment, as he does ;-)

Well, if it's real time mission critical I might agree but that seems
a bit obsessive for a home PC.

It _is_ his _home_PC_, BUT he works from home... he's the chief
software guru for the largest call center company in the world...
sorry about that :-(

[snip]

[snip]

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Obama: A reincarnation of Nixon, narcissistically posing in
politically-correct black-face, but with fewer scruples.