Mark

Default Measuring Devices / Tape Measures

Jim K wrote:

If you have a yardstick, tape measure, framing square, etc. laying
around compare the marking of each. You're probably (I'd say almost
positively) going to find differences among them. I just read some
test where a guy bought several tape measures (some were the make and
model) and compared the sizes and found them all to have slight
differences in accuracy.

Yes, but the better tapes are more consistent.

Tape measures? 1) The end on most (all?) are slightly bent back to the
blade to aid in hooking on the material being measured. 2) Letting the
tape slap back into the case tends to straighten this bend back and / or
break the tape and / or put undue wear on the rivets. 3) Better tapes
have an extended tang for the hook and 3 (or more?) rivets.

I check my tape(s) against a steel rule. If you do this don't forget
about the bend back on the hook. I've found tapes have gotten much more
accurate, at least between the numbers. Most need tweaking of the hook.

What do I use? Mostly a tape (Latest is a Fat Max, didn't like it at
first but has come to fit my hand), 12 and 24 inch steel rule. The rules
are Blue Point and Lufkin, not the scrap found at BORG.

Try to use just one measuring tool for one project or compare them and
realize that an inch isn't always an inch.

I've heard this since I was a child, use the same tool from beginning to
end. Doesn't matter much with quality steel rules and better (machine
tooling), makes all the difference in wood tools.

--

Mark

N.E. Ohio

Never argue with a fool, a bystander can't tell you apart. (S. Clemens,
A.K.A. Mark Twain)

When in doubt hit the throttle. It may not help but it sure ends the
suspense. (Gaz, r.moto)