Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What kind of steel in wood-cutting circular saw blade?

On Jul 4, 8:53*am, Andrew VK3BFA wrote:

I have been going through a similar process on getting a new blade
(10inch) for my table saw, which is of dubious quality since it was
cheap and came from (insert name here). Got a book out of the library
on the subject, had a whole chapter devoted to blades. Fascinating,
but useless cause I am not a Fine Woodworker (BTW - I got and old
skilsaw, great for ripping up floorboards - few carbide tips missing,
doesn't seem to worry it too much)

In the end, his recommendation was to get 3 blades, as there's no such
thing as a good GP blade. And a good guide is price - reasonable
starts at $50, holy grail type ones can be hundreds of dollars (you
know, the "hand crafted by Elves in the forest" sorta thing)

So I bought a $50 Erwin, carbide tipped, and as it aint in front of
me, cant remember the tpi. And I set up the table-saw - plan to bolt
struts across the back, increase rigidity and improve accuracy. Use a
dial indicator, check run-out. Use a square, check alignment. Check
the guides track, remove the slop in the miter gauge cutting
thingy....

Andrew VK3BFA.

A long time ago Tom Walz used to post here on RCM. If you are looking
for saw blades you might check his web site. Lots of information on
saw blades. He also has a bunch of information on brazing carbide on
his web site. He used to sell stellite and carbide, but I can not find
those on his web site now.

http://www.carbideprocessors.com/

Dan