Posted to uk.d-i-y
NT[_2_] NT[_2_] is offline

Default Paint removal - masonary

On Jul 4, 2:25*pm, "Spamlet" wrote:
"NT" wrote in message

On Jul 3, 8:00 pm, mo wrote:

The paint on my shed is flaking - some of it comes off quite easily with a
scraper but some is more stubborn.

As far as I know the 2 paint removal methods are a heat gun or somesort of
chemical that you paint on

What is the ebst to use outside?

The shed is made of breezeblock I think but the external bit is smooth so
guess it must be rendered or something....

When I repaint it I will be using masonary paint of course which can be
bought textured or smooht - will textured cover up bumps/cracks better?

A quick wire brush to remove anything loose, and just paint over. Its
one case whre it simply isnt worth making the job 4x harder for the
sake of 25% longer paint life.

If you want white, lime paint fills cracks, can be used to smooth
breeze blocks, is as cheap as paint gets and lasts ages.http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Paint

NT

Phew, what a big wiki! *The lime section seems to be the most expansive:
plenty of room for additions elsewhere, but remarkable scope.

Maybe you've got a few minutes to add some?

*Is 'builder's
lime' slaked lime or 'quick' lime? *Does a limewash have to be aged before
use (lime putty I seem to recall, taking 6 months, on the restoration TV
progs)

Its slaked lime, quicklime is a higher risk item. Aged before use? No.
There's been a lot of promotion of aged putties, but imho theyre a bit
of an emperor's clothes product. £6 Builders lime does fine, albeit
not as fine a texture as dulux etc.

Simple lime paint doesnt handle as well during painting, it needs a
regular quick stir, and I rotate the brush going from bucket to wall
to stop it running off, but its very quick to use, and once its
painted I've been surprised by how well it lasts. I've been using it
outdoors for what... most of a decade now, and no sign of
deterioration anywhere. And I wouldnt whine if it had, as a) a new
coat is so quick & easy to do (drips on the floor just rinse off after
theyre dry) and b) a new coat re-binds the old paint, which modern
masonry paints dont do effectively.

NT