Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair
Michael Karas Michael Karas is offline

Default Epson Perfection Scanner Problem

In article , says...

Hi Experts :-)

I have an Epson 1640SU that worked very well until
today. Now, when I press the start button, it
click-clicks and the carriage does not move.

I removed the screws and tried to take the top
off. The front of the top has catches that project
into the base so it does not allow me to lift up
the front. I removed the screws from the back and
it will lift slightly but seems to be caught in
something. I don't want to force it, so if someone
has experience of this model I would appreciate
advice on how to take it apart without wrecking it.

TIA

Be aware that once you open the scanner, presuming you can get past the
mechanical issues you are having, the pristine clean interior will never
be that way again. These things are assembled in a clean room so that
there is no dust inside the unit. (Dust = spots and defects in every
scan that you make). Working in a home or ordinary repair shop is no
substitute for the clean room and you will find it impossible to keep
the internal parts of the unit dust and lint free. Remember that the air
all around us is full of dust particles and it will get all over the
internal scanner parts despite all best efforts to "keep it clean".

--
- mkaras