Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Don[_13_] Don[_13_] is offline

Default Cleaning Electronics Devices

The rotating drum/head assembly was completely covered and protected,
as well as the bottom of the motor underneath the chassis. After the
wash, I went through and fully lubricated all points in the transport
which were previously lubricated. Mitsubishi used a special type of
graphite grease, and I located it online. Of course, I knew the PC
boards could be cleaned in this manner, as I used to work for an
electronics manufacturer. However, an entire VCR was a bit of a
bizarre thought. I had nothing to lose with this approach, as my
initial thought after receiving the VCR was to put it in the trash.

All of the membrane switches, all of the mechanical and electrical
aspects of the machine work fine after 3 months of use. Needless to
say, I am pleasantly surprised everything is still functioning to
spec. We'll see if it has any long term affects in the coming
months.

The top cover wasn't in the best of shape, so I contacted a friend who
does powder coating, primarily for custom cars. He stripped the
cover, and powder coated it, and now it looks better than new. He
only charged me for the powder... $10.