Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Lusardi Steve Lusardi is offline

Default How to connect "signal ground" terminals?

Iggy,
The purpose of all those signal grounds is to assure that the signal reference is quiet, eliminating voltage reflections from
other device return currents, which can be seen as noise . Bonding them all together defeats that purpose. Obviously at some
point, all those returns will tie to DC return (never AC neutral). Those tying connections must be very low impedance, typically
6/8 gauge wire. To simplify the statement, all the signal returns within an electronic chassis could bond to an insulated from
chassis bus bar. That bus bas bar is then tied to power supply DC return with a heavy gauge wire as short as possible.Repeat that
for every electronic chassis. Never, never, ever connect neutral to safety earth in ANY machine. This connection can only be made
at the equalization bar at the power entry point for the building. DC return can be connected to the green safety earth wire at
the machine power entry, but often is connected through a 10K ohm resister. Under no circumstances should DC return ever be
connected to chassis. These simple rules eliminate noisy ground loops.
Steve

"Ignoramus31310" wrote in message ...
In this mill, there will be many devices with "signal ground", such as
encoders, ppmc control box, servo drives etc. I think that I should I
tie all of those signal grounds, and the minus of the isolated DC
from the servo power supply, to neutral (in a star configuration).

Is that a good way to go, or am I way off base with my thinking.

Thanks.