Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Dan[_14_] Dan[_14_] is offline

Default Back when ICs had less than 10 transistors...

flipper wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 22:34:36 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

flipper wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 12:16:20 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

flipper wrote:
On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 19:50:32 -0500, Dan wrote:

flipper wrote:
snip
One of the WWII records ("Comin' in on a Wing and a Prayer" with
"Johnny Zero" on the flip side) had 1/3 snapped off so I super glued
the pieces back together and the steel needle plows right on through,
no problem.
Steel needle? Grew up in one of them there snobbish families did you?
Try cactus needles.
Boy, I bet those don't last long as even the steel ones wear down
surprisingly fast.

Fast? You are supposed to replace the steel needle after every
record.
You don't consider that fast?

Not considering how they were used. You had a chioce of the needle
or the record weraing out.

That wasn't 'the (only) choice' when you consider the tungs-tone gave
50 plays but, even without it, you literally can't get any 'faster'
than wearing out just as the one play ends and still have a workable
device.

Besides, we're talking about the perspective of "young
whippersnappers" used to gram loaded diamond styli good for
considerably more than '1 play'.

Nothing like trying to adjust a balanced tone arm. I don't think I
ever did it successfully. Personally I think they were produced so stuck
up audiophiles could baffle the rest of us with BS.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired