Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Dan[_14_] Dan[_14_] is offline

Default Back when ICs had less than 10 transistors...

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Dan wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Dan wrote:
flipper wrote:
snip
I think I've still got a bag of 1103s around here somewhere. I was, at
the time, hoping to build my own computer but it was just too much
money, not to mention slow going. I did get the ALU wired up but then
I ran across the 'junked' Nova 2-10, which I repaired, and with 2
1.25Meg platters that was way more than I could do on my own in spare
time. It took a dedicated breaker to power the dern thing, though, and
the room got rather toasty in short order even with the air running
full blast. My house just wasn't built to be a 'computing center'
In the 1970s Langley AFB closed their C-130 units and moved the
EC-135 avionics branch and ops into the old C-130 sim building. At least
they rebuilt it to suit. In the 1980s I was at Eglin AFB when they
decided to move us into the now vacant C-130 flight sim building. The
least they could have done is turn off the air conditioning until they
revamped the building. In January it was in the 20s outside and we still
had the big back doors open to keep from freezing. I never did ask how
much power them there C-130 sims used, but I can assume it was a lot
considering that blasted AC. Believe it or not the only ones allowed to
turn AC or heat on or off was base civil engineering. Of course there
was a base reg that dictated when and what could be switched and no one
bothered to make a supplement for us. End of whine mode.

20 degrees? How about -20 if you opened those doors? The AFRTS TV
station I engineered at in Alaska had no A/C. The studio was so hot
with the lights on that it was miserable. The solution was to prop open
the rear door behind the news desk, to let the sub zero air in, to cool
the set.

No thanks, I RONned at Eilson (sp?) a couple of times in winter. That
was enough for me. Eglin, however, is in Florida.

I know where both bases are. I spent a year+ at Ft. Greely, and i
built a TV station in Destin, Florida about 20 years ago.

Elision was warmer than Greely. Greely sat at the bottom of the
mountain ranges, and had cold air rolling down off the mountain tops.
After a few months, it would get so cold & dry that it couldn't snow,
but the winds would blow snow down off the mountains. I had a two mile
walk to the TV station in sub zero weather all winter. By the time
spring came, you welcomed the -20 degrees. Johnny Horton was right in
his song, 'North, to Alaska'.

I heard about Greely. I'm glad I didn't get to experience it. I
retired in 1994 and have become civilized. This old bod has become
accustomed to air conditioning.

Didn't Horton also have a song that said "when it's spring time in
Alaska it's 20 below?"

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired