Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
baron baron is offline

Default Back when ICs had less than 10 transistors...

Dan Inscribed thus:

Baron wrote:
flipper Inscribed thus:

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 10:41:50 -0600, "Dave Ulmer"
wrote:

"Archimedes' Lever" wrote in
message ...
On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 09:48:29 -0600, "Dave Ulmer"
wrote:

Dave...

Idiot! "IC"s NEVER "had less than ten transistors", you stupid
twit.

The very first IC HAD ten transistors, so there were none "that
had
less".

The Diode Transistor Logic (DTL) single flip flop ICs that I used
in 1969 had less than 10 transistors!

Dave...

Don't worry. He does that all the time and is quite reliably wrong.

One of, if not, the first commercial ICs was the
Fairchild-Micrologic type "F" (flip-flop) stuffed to the brim with a
mind boggling 4 transistors.

http://www.computerhistory.org/colle...sion/102696650

They also had the type "G" nor gate.

T.I. made similar 'chips', and there is debate as to whether theirs
or Micrologic's was 'first', but their early production was entirely
consumed by NASA and the military so many consider that not
'commercially available'.

I vaguely remember that I was playing about with "Ferranti" packaged
circuits, circa late 60's that had four transistors. I also seem to
recall that the colour of the plastic indicated what type of circuit
was in the package. Oh those fun days... :-)

Remember ICs in round metal cans? I also remember an MIT open
house where they had a flip flop in an IC in a dipped (epoxy?)
package in the late 1960s. They used it in a decade counter.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Hi Dan.
I do recall those ! In fact I may still have one or two kicking about
in one of the many boxes of junk that seem to grow ever more numerous.
I was hunting for something the other day and came across a packet with
a couple of point contact diodes with the threaded ends complete with
the nuts for attaching the wires to them. Goodness knows how old they
are.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.